Return to calm in Apiate: wounded treated

0
Calm Blast

Calm is gradually returning to the tragedy-stricken town of Appiatse after a vehicle carrying mining explosives set fire to, which has so far left 17 people dead and hundreds injured.

The injured are receiving medical treatment at various health centers in Prestea-Huni Valley Municipality, with some being referred to Effia-Nkwanta Government Hospital in Sekondi and beyond.

The town, however, looks desolate as the GNA only saw a few people count their losses and pick up the pieces.

Some residents are housed at the Parish Hall of St Matthew’s Catholic Church in Bogoso and are cared for by the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO).

Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia, who is leading the government delegation to the city, expressed the nation’s condolences to the people and assured them of the state’s support for healing and recovery.

The delegation includes Minister of Lands and Natural Resources Samuel Abu Jinapor, Minister of Interior Ambrose Dery and Western Regional Minister Kwabena Okyere Darko-Mensah.

The Inspector General of Police, Dr. George Akuffo Dampare, is also present with his team.

The joint team sympathized with the bereaved families and visited a number of health facilities to sympathize with those admitted.

They presented matching items to patients and pledged to give more help.

The tragedy occurred along the Bogoso-Bawdie road when a vehicle transporting explosives to the Chirano gold mining site allegedly collided with a motorbike, resulting in an explosion.

According to a statement released by the Minister of Information on Friday, the government has swiftly activated a national emergency response mechanism for personnel from the Police Service, Ghana Armed Forces, Fire Department, NADMO and municipal authority in order to help those affected and to send relief to residents. from the city.

The statement said additional personnel and resources have been deployed to the community to support the ongoing response effort.

An alternate route, he said, had been created to facilitate the movement of stranded vehicles using that route, while all nearby hospitals were used to treat the injured.

An evacuation plan has also been activated to move people in critical conditions to medical facilities in Accra so that they can get the necessary assistance.

According to the statement, to prevent a secondary explosion at the site, a joint team of police and military blast experts has been deployed to examine the situation and put in place the necessary measures.

The government has assured that some efforts to provide stranded community members with shelter and other basic necessities in the coming days have been implemented.

“We would like to urge the public to remain calm and get regular updates from the National Emergency Response Team,” the statement read.

Send your news to [email protected] and via WhatsApp at +233 244244807
To follow Ghana News to google News
Share.

Comments are closed.