Jacobi Medical Center shooting suspect arrested after writing name in Bronx logbook

0
BRONX, New York City (WABC) – The 25-year-old gunman who police say opened fire inside Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx has been arrested after he apparently wrote his name on the enrollment register at his arrival at the hospital.

Authorities say Keber Martinez spotted his 35-year-old victim in the waiting area outside the hospital emergency room on Tuesday afternoon.

The two, who know each other, then argued verbally.

Martinez fired four shots, hitting the other man once in the arm and sending everyone in the waiting room rushing to safety.

READ ALSO | NJ tow truck driver hailed as a hero after saving driver from crash

Mayor Eric Adams said the shooting may have been gang-related and the suspect “may have noticed a member of a rival gang.”

“He pulled out a gun and shot the person,” Adams said. “And sitting in the emergency room at the time were families, a child and hospital staff.”

The victim was rushed to the emergency room, while the shooter fled.

In surveillance video obtained by Eyewitness News, the shooter is seen opening fire.

Both men were in hospital for treatment of previous injuries at the time.

The victim had been shot in the leg last year and he reportedly felt pain from the injury when he went to hospital.

Martinez was charged with attempted murder, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a firearm.

He has already been arrested six times, the last in May 2020, for assault, drugs, grand larceny and criminal possession of a weapon.

READ ALSO | Mayor Adams Unveils New York City’s “Master Plan for Safety” to Address Violence

———-
* More Bronx news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Submit a Tip

Copyright © 2022 WABC-TV. All rights reserved.

Share.

Comments are closed.